Privacy keys are used with Radio Systems that support privacy key encryption. WAVE associates Privacy Keys with Talkgroups. The Privacy Key values you create must match the values in the radio system. Privacy Keys are generally only required if you are using a Privacy Key Type of Enhanced.
If you are using a Privacy Key Type of Basic then you must enter a Privacy Key Index for the Talkgroups associated with the Radio System. You do not need to create a Privacy Key. The image below shows a typical Privacy Key Index entry for a Talkgroup using Basic Privacy.
Note: If you select the radio system’s Privacy Key Type is Basic and if you wish not to have privacy for a the talkgroup, then the Privacy Key Index needs to be “0”.
To add a Privacy Key for Enhanced Privacy
- Edit a Radio System.
The Privacy Type list appears near the bottom of the page.
- Click Manage Privacy Keys.
The list of Privacy Keys for this radio system appears.
- Click Add Key and enter the following information:
- In KEY NAME, enter a name for the Privacy Key. This is for administrative use and does not appear outside WAVE.
- In KEY VALUE, enter the value of the Privacy Key as assigned in the Radio System. Maximum 10 Digits.
- In KEY ID, enter the ID of the Privacy Key as assigned in the Radio System. Maximum value of 255. Must be unique in this radio system.
- Click the green check box when completed.
The new Privacy Key appears on the page.
To assign a Privacy Key to a Talkgroup
- Click Talkgroups.
The Talkgroups page opens.
- Mouse-over a Talkgroup with a Radio System already assigned. (Broadband Only Talkgroups do not have Privacy Keys and are encrypted by default). Click the Edit icon.
- In the Privacy Key list, select one of the Privacy Keys from the pre-created list.
4. Click the green checkbox when completed.